Useless Facts About Me
Okay, no more deep thoughts, at least for today. I need a break. Let's do a list. A list of worthless facts about me. Things you may not know.
1. My name is Barbara. I know, you already knew that. But it means 'a stranger'. I love that. It's one of the best gifts my mom ever gave me. Because I am. It's Biblical, you know. :)
2. I don't like the heat. And no, it's not because I'm a middle aged woman. Grrr! I've always been this way. Other people are all bundled up, and I'm wearing short sleeves. I've been known to wear flip flops in the snow when it's not deep enough to come up over the sole. Give me the cold any day. At Victory, we had a staff meeting each morning before school. I'd wear a coat maybe three or four times during the course of the winter. Mr. Dorsey would say that it must be too cold for outdoor recess today, because Mrs. Olszewski is wearing a coat. Haha!
3. I think differently than other people. I got it from my grandmother. I often think that other people are thinking the same thing as I am. They rarely are. I try hard to remember that.
4. I was a very skinny kid. Before it was cool to be thin. I got lots of jokes. Like, 'I bet you have to run around in the shower to get wet'. And, 'If it starts to rain, you can just go stand under a clothesline'. Very funny.
5. I am not a movie person. It's not a conviction, or even a preference. I just don't do well with them. I get too emotionally involved. Okay, they make me cry. I have enough drama in my real life. I don't need to take on the emotions of fictitious characters. You think I need to choose different movies, do ya? What if I told you that I don't think I've ever seen a movie that would be considered a 'drama'? The last movie that I saw in a theatre was Toy Story 3. It came out on my birthday and the kids took me as part of my gift. I sobbed through most of the movie. (Sobbing is ugly crying, where I make noises.) Then I cried for days. I'm still traumatized. I just looked it up. It was in 2010.
6. I got saved at a movie. Ironic, isn't it?
7. I am very thrifty. Almost all of my clothes and shoes and the pretty things in my house came from a fabulous thrift store just outside of D.C. I am a couponer. I very rarely order a beverage when I eat out. I order an ice water. Sometimes I put in a little packet of pink lemonade mix. I carry them in my purse.
8. With that being said, I really like nice things and will not hesitate to splurge on something that others might consider to be extravagant or frivolous. I just hate to WASTE money.
9. My grandma called me Barbie. I loved it, but I have never let anyone else call me that. Just her.
10. A year and a half ago I couldn't walk 500 steps a day. Seriously. I had a step counter. This past Saturday, I walked/ran 20,482 of them. That's 9.21 miles. God gave me a new hip. I'm bionic. He is so good to me!